Testosterone is the primary male hormone that is responsible for giving men a deeper voice, hairy chest, muscle mass, strong bones, as well as famous for its ability to boost sex drive in men.
Testosterone levels are highest during puberty and in the few years that follow. However, once a person crosses his 30s, testosterone production gradually begins to taper down.
Age and lifestyle factors are primarily responsible for this decline. Age cannot be controlled, but man has complete control over the choices he makes with regards to diet and exercise. These two elements play a vital role in maintaining healthy testosterone levels in men.
Additionally, maintaining a good level of testosterone can be boosted with on appropriate food choices, along with beginning or maintaining a regular workout routine. Maintaining healthy levels need not be a constant struggle.
Doctor Explains More About Testosterone
Symptoms Of Low Testosterone Levels
- Loss or low sexual drive
- Difficulty in achieving an erection
- Loss of muscle mass
- Mineral density in bones decreased
- Noticeable increase in belly fat
- Irritability and tiredness or fatigue
- Loss of focus or concentration
How To Boost Testosterone Levels Naturally
- Maintain a healthy and well-balanced diet. Eating foods rich in zinc and good fat contents help increase testosterone levels naturally. Common foods such as oysters, baked beans, and pumpkin seeds are naturally rich in zinc, whereas eggs, beef, chicken, salmon, and all kinds of nuts are packed with essential fatty acids that impact testosterone production positively.
- Lower or reduce estrogen levels by eating broccoli, cabbage, and other cruciferous vegetables. High estrogen levels inhibit testosterone production.
- Eat monounsaturated fats that are found in peanut oil, olive oil, avocados, and coconuts also buff up testosterone levels.
- Perform a regular workout routine. Aerobic or cardiovascular exercises such as swimming, biking, walking, kettlebell and running boosts testosterone naturally as well as help maintain ideal weight.
- Strength training can increase muscle mass and boost testosterone levels. Doing power skips, push-ups, squats, and dead lifts will bring on a surge for testosterone levels. Keep in mind, while doing strength training, make sure to allow the body an ample time to recover between sets, and never go overboard with the training sessions.
- Get enough sleep. Getting at least 7 hours of sleep can allow the body recuperate and repair muscles. The release of testosterone into the blood increases while the body is at rest.
- Reduce or eliminate stress. Stress raises cortisol levels, which impedes the production of testosterone. Excess stress also suppresses immune activity and has a negative impact on health.
- Watch your favorite sports. Researchers at University of Utah found men who watch their favorite sports team compete experience a similar surge of testosterone levels as the players. Moreover, the research found a 20% increase of testosterone levels on fans watching the game their team wins. On the other hand, testosterone levels fall 20% when their team lost. Therefore, if you are confident your team can win, never miss watching the game.
- Regularly see the sun. Boston State Hospital reported, simply by exposing the skin to sunlight for 15 to 20 minutes can help raise testosterone level up to 120%. Also, the research found additional data when exposing the genital’s skin to sun increases hormone level by a whopping 200%. Hence, if you have a private place that is expose to the sun, particularly in the morning, it is a good idea to expose the body’s entire skin surface, a.k.a naked sun bathing at home. Also, exposing yourself to the sun is an excellent source of Vitamin D.
- Eat Cabbage. A study conducted In New York at Rockefeller University found cabbage is packed with Indole-3-Carbinol, or IC3, a phytochemical that help boost testosterone level. In the study, men were able to reduced Estrogen hormone by 50% when they were given a dose of IC3.
- Avoid excessive alcohol consumption. Indeed, happy hour can bring negative effects on manly hormones. There are numerous studies conducted revealing alcohol consumption decreases testosterone level up to 24 hours; while, at the same time, it increases cortisol and lowers growth hormone levels.
- Avoid over training. Although, regular workout can help increase testosterone level temporarily, it can have negative effects when done excessively. The reason, when overtraining produces a stress hormone eventually breaking down muscles and competing testosterone. In fact, a study conducted by University of North Carolina researchers found over training lowers testosterone levels up to 40%. When you over train, make sure to take time to rest before getting into workout again.
- Take cold showers or baths. During the time when steroids are not yet available, Russian power lifters froze their testicles for improved performance purposes. Testosterone makes men stronger and perform better. Today, men in high performance sports used anabolic steroids known as testosterone doping, but this is banned by the International Olympic Committee(Reference 1 / Reference 2). Today, ice bathing is a popular tourist destination in Finland.
- Do intermittent fasting diet. This may sound weird specially if you haven’t tried it. Intermittent fasting is a dieting technique to restrict eating for certain hours in a day. Some like to fast for 18 hours while others do it or 12 hours. Personally, I’m doing intermittent fasting for 18 hours a few times every month. Not only it boost sex drive, but also increase my level of concentration. In a study conducted on humans, researchers were able to observed after 24 hours of no calorie consumption, level of growth hormone elevated to 2000% comparing to the baseline. Growth hormone increases in parallel with testosterone, as well as highly anabolic. A good guide to intermittent fasting is Brad Pilon’s Eat-Stop-Eat.
- Lose weight and maintain muscle mass. For overweight individuals, losing weight is very essential to upping testosterone levels. There are clinical trials that proved a clear link between obesity and low testosterone levels in menRef. 1 / Ref. 2. This is the primary reason men accumulated belly fat can be devastating to his sexual health as testosterone is the male sex hormone. You don’t have to aim results like bodybuilders do. Simply, avoid fat accumulation and aim at building muscles.
A study conducted by the French in December 2014REF found that men who love spicy foods tend to have higher testosterone level.
Kyle Lyon’s List Of Testosterone-Boosting Foods
Kyle Lyon is a bodybuilder, nutritionist, author, and creator of the somanabolic muscle maximizer. Bodybuilders need a good level of testosterone for muscle building, which is another function of the hormone aside from being a primary male hormone responsible for boosting libido.
In this video, he mentioned avoiding soy products, which most people might agree that soy might not be good for the health. However, there are two kinds of soy products; fermented and unfermented. Fermented soy has health benefits, so soy is not that bad for health at all.
Checking Testosterone Level Visually
To determine accurate testosterone levels laboratory test is necessary for this process. Check with your healthcare provider or your doctor and ask for testosterone level check. A blood sample will be taken for laboratory testing. Normally, test results can be obtained within a day or two.
When a man is aging, and signs of low testosterone manifests, addressing the problem at once is certainly a good move. Additionally, when one has no idea, or cannot figure out what is happening exactly, consulting a doctor is recommended. Doing so, the doctor can administer appropriate actions to help increase and maintain the right testosterone level.
Perhaps a testosterone replacement will be done to reactivate testosterone production. Common testosterone replacement therapy includes injections, transdermal patches, gels, buccal or Sublingual tablets, and natural supplementation including Ageless Male.